gtag('config', 'AW-945928078/0s88CMHj_mMQju-GwwM', { 'phone_conversion_number': '248-723-5190' });

What To Do When Your Ex Partner Wont Pay Child Support

What to Do When Your Ex-Partner Won’t Pay Child Support

Ex-partners with children are often in a difficult position. While a marriage or relationship might need to end, parental duties never do.

Typically, a divorce agreement will involve one spouse providing child support payments to the other. These payments are intended to cover the costs of parenting necessities.

When an ex-partner stops paying child support or refuses to make these payments, it can be very stressful for the other parent. Speaking with an accomplished family law attorney is one crucial step toward finding a resolution.

In the following article, we will discuss several actions to take if your ex-partner fails to make child support payments.

Talking is the First Step

When ex-partners do not get along, it can be difficult to hold constructive conversations. However, talking with the other parent is the best approach to resolving this issue.

Before legal action is taken, it is important to learn the reason why the other parent is not paying child support. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding or minor personal issue that can be resolved easily.

But sometimes talking does not work. Even if you need to seek a legal remedy, knowing why your ex-partner is refusing to pay is crucial.

Child Support Payments are Not Voluntary

It is important to understand that child support payments are not optional. In every state in the U.S., children’s parents must financially support them. Usually, the parent who spends the least time with the child will provide support payments to the custodial parent.

If your ex-partner is not making the required payments, the law is on your side. There are several ways in which child support rulings can be enforced.

Consulting with a local attorney or child support agency can help to resolve the issue.

Methods of Legal Enforcement

Unfortunately, parents sometimes try to avoid paying for the needs of their children. When this happens, the custodial parent should seek legal resolutions.

Often, this means finding ways to enforce the payment requirements of the delinquent parent. There are many enforcement strategies that judges use to ensure that parents provide child support.

Wage Deduction: This enforcement option involves garnering the income of the other parent. Rather than going to the delinquent parent’s paycheck, a portion of their income will be diverted directly to the custodial parent.

This removes the delinquent parent from the equation to ensure that payments are made.

Income Tax Intercepts: The state government has the power to allocate tax refunds to make up for delinquent child support payments.

License Revocations or Suspensions: Other consequences do not involve taking the money from the parent who refuses to pay. The state can revoke or suspend the driver’s license of someone who owes child support.

Contempt of Court: If the situation is dire enough, a judge might find the delinquent parent to be in contempt of court. When this happens, the person in contempt may find themselves facing fines or jail time.

No matter what the details of your case, speaking with a qualified family law attorney is crucial. If your ex-partner refuses to pay child support, a legal professional can help.

Too much information?

We focus exclusively on family law matters so we are always available to answer your questions and help.

Leave a Reply